Winter Maintenance Volunteer
How you can get involved...
1. Fill out our Winter Volunteer Application - Fill out this form and email it to Captain Daniel, daniel(at)soundexp(dot)org. Please note, if you fill the application out online to save the data you need to 'print to PDF'.
2. Let us know your availability - When you submit your application, please let us know your interest and availability.
How you can help…
- Seasonal Winter Volunteer Crew - Work aboard Adventuress side-by-side with the shipwrights to learn more about the centuries-old skills of restoring a 100-year old wooden schooner. If interested, contact Captain Daniel, daniel(at)soundexp(dot)org.
- Daily or weekly volunteer help - Come during the week. Stay a day or two (lodging and food will be provided). Take ownership of your own project and come and go as you can or just find out what the work needs are that day. If interested, contact Captain Daniel, daniel(at)soundexp(dot)org.
- Volunteer Work Weekends - Once each month, we call on volunteers to join us for a weekend of boat work: sanding, varnishing, scrubbing, painting, and helping with all sorts of projects, from mechanical and electrical to woodworking and rigging. We welcome folks of any and all abilities--we'll find a job for you! Bunks are available and meals are included. Click here to dates, times and details!
Photos from Phase I of the Centennial Restoration
Sailing-Season Volunteer Opportunities
Sound Experience relies on the dedication and commitment of our community volunteers from throughout the Puget Sound area. We encourage volunteers to participate both with shipboard and off-ship opportunities. Off-ship duties include fundraising events, festival booths, committee work, Board of Directors, office help, and public relations.
All volunteers must be current Sound Experience members and have an application on record. Our volunteers who will be working on our youth programs must also pass a background check. Please contact the office or visit our Forms page to download or fill-out the Community Volunteer Application.
We ask any new volunteer to come aboard as a 'volunteer in training' for at least one of our Public Sails (FREE as a member). As a 'volunteer in training' you will have the opportunity to shadow a crew member, learning more about how to sail Adventuress and our educational programming. Depending on your skill level and availability, you will likely be asked to come aboard in a training capacity multiple times.
To sign up as a 'volunteer in training', please register for a Public Sail and then contact the Sound Experience office - 360-379-0438 or email Megan - megan (at) soundexp (dot) org to sign up for training. Due to program and shipboard needs there is limited capacity for training volunteers on each Public Sail; we will contact you approximately one week prior to the public sail to let you know whether we have space for you to come aboard in a training capacity. If we do not, we would encourage you to come aboard as a participant - you can still learn a lot this way!
Shipboard Volunteer Crew
You can download a volunteer application form by clicking here or by calling 360-379-0438 for more information. We are committed to providing the best possible experience for our volunteers. We offer training throughout the year on safety, sail handling, and environmental education. Meals and a bunk are provided while you are part of the crew.
Be at least 18 years old.
Submit to and pass a criminal background check.
Provide their own transportation to and from the ship.
We also ask that volunteers support our mission by becoming a member of Sound Experience.
Join the crew for one month or longer during the sailing season. These volunteer positions include food and lodging aboard Adventuress. Interns become active members of the crew. On-the-job training is provided. Interns will take part in all aspects of the programs gaining valuable experience in environmental and marine science education, as well as sailing and vessel operation. Specific duties will include teaching, cleaning and maintenance of the ship, assisting in the galley and more!
Interns must be over 18 years old, have an interest in and desire to teach program areas of ecology, environmental awareness and sailing; live in close shipboard environment; take part in all aspects of operating the program and vessel; work with youth and adults; and be interested in pursuing a career related to environmental education or teaching.
Interested: Please contact the office or visit our Forms page to download or fill-out the Crew and Intern Application. Submit it to Sound Experience (either on-line or via email or mail) along with a resume and cover letter.