Winter Maintenance Volunteer
How you can get involved...
1. Fill out our Winter Volunteer Application - Please either fill out this form and mail or fax to the Sound Experience office (360-379-0439 or PO Box 1390, Port Townsend WA 98368) or answer the questions directly in an email and send it to korie(at)soundexp(dot)org.
2. Let us know your availability - When you submit your application, please let us know your interest and availability.
How you can help with Winter Maintenance…
- Seasonal Winter Volunteer Crew - Work aboard Adventuress side-by-side with the shipwrights to learn more about the centuries-old skills of restoring a 102-year-old wooden schooner. If interested, contact Port Captain Korie at korie(at)soundexp(dot)org.
- Daily or weekly volunteer help - Come during the week. Stay a day or two (lodging and food will be provided). Take ownership of your own project and come and go as you can or just find out what the work needs are that day. If interested, contact Port Captain Korie at korie(at)soundexp(dot)org.
- Volunteer Work Weekends - A few times each winter, we call on volunteers to join us for a weekend of boat work: sanding, varnishing, scrubbing, painting, and helping with all sorts of projects, from mechanical and electrical to woodworking and rigging. We welcome folks of any and all abilities--we'll find a job for you! Bunks are available and meals are included.
Stay tuned for more information about winter volunteer opportunities for 2015/2016!
Photos from Phase I of the Centennial Restoration
Sailing-Season Volunteer Opportunities
Sound Experience relies on the dedication and commitment of our community volunteers from throughout the Puget Sound area. We encourage volunteers to participate both with shipboard and off-ship opportunities. Off-ship duties include fundraising events, festival booths, committee work, Board of Directors, office help, and public relations.
All volunteers must be current Sound Experience members. Our volunteers who will be working on our youth programs must also pass a background check.
We ask any new volunteer to come aboard as a 'volunteer in training' for at least one of our Public Sails (FREE as a member). As a 'volunteer in training' you will have the opportunity to shadow a crew member and learn more about how to sail Adventuress and our educational programming. Depending on your skill level, interest, and availability, you may be asked to come aboard in a training capacity multiple times.
To sign up as a 'volunteer in training' on an upcoming Public Sail, please contact the Sound Experience office - 360-379-0438 - or email Zoe at zoe (at) soundexp (dot) org to sign up for training. Due to program and shipboard needs there is a limited capacity for training volunteers on each Public Sail. If we do not have space, we would encourage you to come aboard as a participant - you can still learn a lot this way!
Join the crew for one month or longer during the sailing season. These volunteer positions include food and lodging aboard Adventuress. Interns become active members of the crew. On-the-job training is provided. Interns will take part in all aspects of the programs gaining valuable experience in environmental and marine science education, as well as sailing and vessel operation. Specific duties will include teaching, cleaning and maintenance of the ship, assisting in the galley and more!
Interns must be over 18 years old, have an interest in and desire to teach program areas of ecology, environmental awareness and sailing; live in close shipboard environment; take part in all aspects of operating the program and vessel; work with youth and adults; and be interested in pursuing a career related to environmental education or teaching.
Interested: Please contact the office or visit our Crew page to for more information and to complete the Crew and Intern Application. Submit it to Sound Experience along with a resume and cover letter.